You wish you were there to take care of your fluffy friend all the time – BUT you can’t be!
Doesn’t mean you have to spend half your time at work worrying about their diet.
That is what automatic cat feeders are for.
Yes, they are indeed what they sound like they are. Machines that will take care of your cat’s appetite without your assistance.
If you think that’s smart, let me tell you that some of those machines out there are even smarter.
These machines can take a load off your mind. They don’t just feed your cat; they feed them well. That is the kind of feeders that have made to my list of thirteen favorites.
Before I begin with my list, let’s see what one can expect from the best automatic cat feeder.
What Makes a Best Automatic Cat Feeder?
Call me lazy but the best automatic cat feeder has to be the one that takes the most responsibilities off your shoulder. How else can you really trust anything with your furbabies?
That is exactly why you will find WOpet 7L Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser for Cats on the top of my list.
With an almost-perfect Amazon rating, it seems to be everyone else’s favorite too. And for good reason.
It has everything you wished a cat feeder had:
- It can manage multiple feeds a day
- You can customize everything from feed timing to portion size
- It can operate on batteries in case of a power outage
- The hypoallergenic feeding tray is dishwasher safe
- You can even record a message for your pet
- Uses sensors to prevent overflow and spilling
- Has a decent capacity
Sounds perfect, doesn’t it?
It ‘almost’ is. I will discuss both the pros and cons in the detailed review right after my top 7 list.
List of the Best Automatic Cat Feeders
- Best Overall: WOpet 7L Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
A high-quality automatic dispenser with all the necessary features you can ask for
- Best Versatile:PetSafe 5 Meal Automatic Feeder
Pamper your pet with a different type of food in every meal
- Best Multi-Pet: PetSafe Healthy Pet Cat Feeder
This one has large enough capacity to cater multiple pets in your house.
- Best Smart: PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder
Connect, control, and monitor your cat’s meals through your smartphone
- Best Selective Feeder: Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder
Perfect for pets with a prescription diet or exclusive dietary needs
- Best for Wet Food: WOpet Automatic Cat Feeder Pet Feeder Bowl
Finally, a feeder that will keep your wet cat food cold and fresh
- Best Budget: Petmate Pet Café Feeder
Sometimes, simplicity is the best feature you can ask for
Let’s dive in.
Best Overall: WOpet 7L Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
What I love about WOpet is that it is a full package without an outrageously expensive price tag. The value is great with this one.
It has just the right amount of features, which makes it extremely easy to use. Literally, no learning curve. The quality is evident in its build. It is a durable and sturdy product that will last you a few good years.
- A huge capacity of up to 20 cups of kibbles
- You can schedule up to four meal per day with variable portion sizes
- Portion size can be from 2 tsp to 4.5 cups per meal
- Allows kibble size of 0.2” to 0.6”
- Allows you to record a custom message for your pet
- Battery-powered backup
- Infrared detection feature to prevent spills
- Removable food hopper for easy cleaning
- The removable food tray is dishwasher safe
- Dimensions: 13.7 x 9.8 x 15.3 inches
- Weight: 6 lbs
- The sleek and simplistic design makes it easy to use
- Allows for a good amount of customization
- Adjustable kibble size lets you try different cat foods
- Easy cleaning and maintenance
- Cats can’t steal food from the chute
- You can check the food level and condition through the lid
- Portion size isn’t mentioned by weight and may differ for different foods
- Doesn’t work for wet food or kibbles that are too large
- The sound recording isn’t loud enough
Best Versatile: PetSafe 5 Meal Automatic Feeder
I call it versatile because it can contain different food. Wet or dry, large or small kibbles. And you can have a portion of different cat food for every mealtime.
This is really helpful when you have a picky eater, one who gets bored with the same food easily. You can schedule up to five meals a day with this one. A different meal every time. The container revolves and the latch opens for the specified compartment at the specified time.
- Made of high-quality, durable polypropylene
- 5 meal compartment with a capacity of one cup each
- You can set the timing of each meal for your pet
- Removable dishwasher safe food tray
- Battery operated ( 4 D-cell batteries)
- Dimensions: 15 x 5 x 18 inches
- Weight: 3.28 lbs
- A compact and lightweight product that you can travel along with
- Allows for different food every time
- Extremely simple setup and use
- Very accurate in terms of meal timing
- Removable and dishwasher safe tray
- Good value for money
- Can contain wet food but couldn’t keep it cold
- No battery life indicator / Does not operate without batteries
- No completely cat-proof
- Makes a whirring noise
Best Multi-Pet: PetSafe Healthy Pet Automatic Cat Feeder
When you have a lot of pets in the house, four or five meals a day won’t cut it. You need a feeder that can schedule at least 12 meals a day. That is something you can expect from PetSafe Healthy.
Capacity and meal times aren’t the only reasons I recommend it for a multi-pet household. This feeder works with dry as well as semi-moist food. The latter is an option that is most suitable for all my cats.
- The huge capacity hopper can hold up to 24 cups of food
- Schedule up to 12 meals a day
- Customize portion for every meal (1/8 cups to 4 cups per meal)
- Immediate Feed option to feed the next meal early
- Hypoallergenic steel bowl
- Slow feed option dispenses food over 15 min (suitable for sensitive ones)
- Powered by 4 D-cell alkaline batteries
- Lockable control panel
- Dishwasher safe bowl, lid, and hopper
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 8.7 x 12.4 inches
- Weight: 4.61 pounds
- Good enough capacity for multiple pets
- You can fully customize 12 meals a day
- Can be used for semi-moist and dry food
- a lot of run time options such as Slow feed and immediate feed
- It is a good option for sensitive kitties
- Most parts are dishwasher safe
- The chute is quite close to the bowl and makes it difficult for bigger cats to eat properly
- Programming PetSafe Healthy isn’t as straightforward as other feeders
- Doesn’t operate without batteries
Best Smart: PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder
I’ll start with the obvious: PetSafe is a brand I truly trust.
I was quite excited when they introduced this smart feeder. It is a feeder that connects to your smartphone and gives you more freedom to set meal times, at run time. You can monitor a lot of aspects such as food level and refill without delay.
Smart Feed has a good Amazon rating, and it has won the hearts of my pets as well. I like more control over my pets meal when I have to be away for longer. The material and product quality is another reason I have it in my list.
- The huge capacity of up to 24 cups
- Allows you to control portion size and meal times through smartphone (iOS, Android)
- Schedule up to 12 meals a day
- Additional FEED NOW option for an extra meal if needed
- Portion sizes can range from 1/8 cup to 4 cups
- SLOW FEED option gradually dispenses food over 15 mins
- Battery Backup
- The stainless feeding bowl is dishwasher safe
- Removable food hopper and lid are also dishwasher safe
- Dimensions: 20.3 x 9.4 x 12.6 inches
- Weight: 5.65 pounds
- Allows runtime control and remote monitoring
- Hypoallergenic stainless steel bowl
- Easy to set up and use
- Super easy to clean
- Good for multiple pets
- The scheduled meal won’t dispense unless to bowl is completely empty
- Battery backup doesn’t last long enough
- Not very budget-friendly
Best Selective Diet: Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder
If you have multiple pets, and one or two of them have special dietary needs while another one or two are the always-hungry bullies, then you know how difficult mealtimes can get.
For me, Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder helped me with that problem. Using the RFID technology, this feeder opens only for the cat it is meant for. Even if another cat tries to bully it away, the lid will close as soon as the designated cat moves further.
Moreover, I like the fact that it can be used for both wet and dry foods.
- Can hold 13.5 fl. oz of wet or dry cat food at a time
- The airtight lid retains moisture and freshness
- Comes with one RFID tag for one pet
- Can store up to 32 IDs
- Compatible with existing microchip ID as well
- Removable bowl
- Dimensions: 12.6 x 9.1 x 7.9 inches
- Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Perfect for pets on a prescription diet
- Good battery time
- Great for wet and dry food
- Airtight lid preserves freshness
- Compact, lightweight, yet sturdy design
- Doesn’t restrict meal timings
- Bowl is removable but not dishwasher safe
- Doesn’t keep wet food cool
- Quite an expensive product
Best for Wet Food: WOpet Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder Pet Feeder Bowl
WoPet Feeder Bowl is a fairly new addition to the list of automatic feeders and it has garnered great acclaim just a short amount of time. One of the key reasons could be the fact that there aren’t enough decent wet food automatic feeders out there.
This one really sets the bar with some amazing features.
- The capacity of up to 1.5 cups of wet food
- Easy to use timer allows you to set the next mealtime
- Ice-packs under the tray keeps the food fresh for longer
- Removable food tray
- Battery operated (1 AA)
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Made of sturdy material
- Easy to use countdown dial timer
- Keeps food cool and fresh
- One battery goes a long way
- Pocket-friendly option
- Only allows you to set a timer for one meal
- Slightly inaccurate timing
- A timer makes an audible ticking noise
Best Budget: Petmate Pet Café Feeder
If you are looking for a budget option, gravity is your best friend. This one is one of the best gravity feeders I have ever come across.
It is a sturdy product that works just the way it is supposed to work. No bells and whistles mean it is easy to use, and easy on the pocket as well.
- Available in three different capacities: 3 lbs, 6 lbs, and 12 lbs
- Relies on gravity to automatically refill the bowl as needed
- Easy to remove the washable reservoir
- Safe for indoor and outdoor usage
- Dimensions: 8.6 x 12.9 x 10.9 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- Operates without electricity or batteries
- A simple solution to keep your pets well-fed
- No learning curve whatsoever
- Made from high-quality durable material
- The most budget-friendly option
- You cannot set meal timings
- Greedy pets can end up overeating with this one
- Large kibbles can get stuck and you will have to give it a shake
Iseebiz Automatic Cat Feeder Pet Food Dispenser Feeder
Cat, meet wall-e!
Your new robot friend.
That is exactly what came to my mind when I saw this cute little pet feeder. The second thought was if it is actually as good as it looks. It has a near-perfect rating on Amazon, which means it is quite effective.
- Allows you to program up to 4 meals per day
- There are 39 portion settings to choose from
- The infrared sensor prevents overflow and spills
- Voice recording option allows you to record a meal time message
- Supports battery backup
- Dimensions: 12.6 x 9.4 x 8.3 inches
- Weight: 3 pounds
- The design is adorable, quality durable
- 39 portion settings let you customize each meal for your cat
- Cats love this machine and enjoy their meals
- Battery backup goes on for a long time
- This product is not easy to wash
- Only works with dry food
- Meals per day is limited to 4
WOpet Pet Feeder, Automatic Cat Feeder Pet Food Dispenser
For many pet owners, this one is an impulse buy. Just look at it. Isn’t it adorable!
It is like buying a fun companion for your pet. I like the way it grabs attention, which means the training time is virtually reduced. You have upto 39 potion sizes to use. It is fairly easy to use and learn.
- Allows 4 customizable meals per day.
- 1 to 39 portion settings to choose from for every meal
- Voice recording option to set a meal call in your own
- Infrared sensor to prevent overflow and spills
- Allows kibble of up to 0.06 inches
- Offers a decent battery backup
- Dimensions:15 x 11 x 8 inches
- Weight: 3.8 pounds
- The robot cat design is just adorable
- The design attracts the cat’s attention
- Good capacity of around 6 lbs
- Easy to use control panel
- Good value for money
- Cleaning can be a hassle
- You cannot use it for wet food or large kibbles
- Limited to 4 meals a day
Pawple Automatic Pet Feeder
We have yet another rotating cat feeder with raving reviews and ratings on Amazon. You can plan 6 meals at a time, that will be dispensed in two days. So, if you need to go away for a weekend, Pawple will take care of your fur babies. for you.
- Made from high-quality ABS plastic
- Customize up to six meals per cycle ( 3 meals per day)
- Up to 1 cup meal per cycle
- Fill each compartment with a different meal (wet or dry)
- Easy to use LCD display panel for customization
- Battery operated ( 4 Type C batteries)
- Removable dishwasher-safe food tray
- Dimensions:14 x 13.6 x 4.6 inches
- Weights: 3 pounds
- A user-friendly compact design
- Extremely easy to use and program
- Suitable for wet and dry food
- Dishwasher safe removable food tray
- Sound alerts for feeding time
- Makes whirring noise and sound alerts are too high-pitched
- Doesn’t keep wet food cold
Crown Majestic Platinum Series
Crown Majestic is a great option if you want your cat’s feeder and water dispenser together. It is a high-quality product with good Amazon rating. You can customize a lot of things such as meal portion size, meal times, etc through its extremely easy-to-use control panel.
- Customize up to four meals per day
- 2-in-1 water dispenser plus feeder
- Hypoallergenic stainless steel food bowl
- Detachable bowl and hopper for easy cleaning
- Battery backup
- Easy to use LCD display panel
- Audio recording option
- Can be used with different kibble size and shape
- Two-in-one product that keeps your cat well-fed and hydrated
- Suitable for multi pets
- The removable stainless steel feeding bowl
- Works with all kind of kibbles
- Simple to use interface
- Will take up a good amount of space
- Won’t work for wet or semi-moist food
- Food can get stuck in the chute sometimes
Van Ness Medium Auto Feeder
If you are all about simple things in life, and just want a feeder that can ensure a readily available meal for your cats. There is nothing fancy about the feeder, and that is the best part. The quality of the material is extremely high. It is definitely built to last.
Since it is a high-quality, budget-friendly option, you can use it indoors as well as outdoor.
- Made of high-quality plastic
- A decent 6 lbs capacity
- Removable lid allows for easy cleaning
- Dimension:14.5 x 8.6 x 11.2 inches
- Weight: 1.25 pounds
- Extremely simple to use automatic gravity feeder
- Made from high-quality plastic
- Works with all shapes and sizes of kibbles
- One of the cheapest product you can find
- You cannot program meal times or portion sizes
- Too simple if you are used to smarter feeders
WESTLINK 6L Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
If you want to start with a simple yet efficient automatic feeder for your cat, you won’t be disappointed by Westlink.
It is decent looking automatic food dispenser with good enough capacity. It has all the basic programming options yet not an unnecessary amount of features to make it a complicated machine.
- A decent 6L capacity can last a few good meals
- Set up to 4 meals a day; 1 – 39 portions for each meal
- Simple to use control panel
- Built-in voice recorder and speaker
- Infrared detection to prevent spill and overflow
- Perfect for small kibble size of up to 0.39″
- Powered by USB cable or D batteries
- Dimensions:15.8 x 12.4 x 10.8 inches
- Weight: 6 pounds
- The capacity is quite reasonable
- Adjustable feed speed is a good option
- Super low power consumption
- Allows limited meals and portion sizes
- Only works with a specific size of the kibble
- You can’t check the food level in the hopper
Automatic Cat Feeder Buying Guide
Now you know not one but thirteen top of the line cat feeders out there. You must have noticed how all of them have slightly distinctive features, and different pros and cons.
It is only a matter of finding the one that is most suitable for your pet, which I know is no easy matter. So, here is a quick yet comprehensive guide to help you find the best automatic cat feeder for your cat – starting with you should invest in one or not.
Do You Actually Need an Automatic Cat Feeder?
Let’s have some real talk here:
Mealtime is the best bonding time between you and your cat. If it lets you scratch its head while it eats, know that you have been marked as a friend. Cats love the hand that feeds them. And let’s cherish the fact that it is an absolute joy to watch them eat.
If you can commit to feeding your cat without a delay while taking care of their portion size every single time, you can save your money and rather spend it on better food or supplements.
If you can’t always be available to scoop out the right amount of food three to four times daily, with equal intervals, you won’t regret buying an auto cat feeder.
Your cats will love you for it!
Let’s further understand some of the reasons that make automatic cat feeder a great investment.
Benefits of an Auto Cat Feeder
Here is why an auto cat feeder is a good idea:
- Peace of Mind: Whether you are working a nine-hour shit or going out with friends for a day, you can rest assured that your kitties will be timely fed throughout the day.
- Control Portions: If you have to control your cat’s portions due to their weight or any other health issue, all you need is to feed the info to an automatic cat feeder.
- Fresh Food: Most auto cat feeders keep the food stored in a temperature-controlled, airtight container until it’s time to release it to the bowl. This will save your sensitive kitty from a number of health issues.
- Save Money: Think of all the money you spend on pet-sitting services! You can save your money for your self or spend it on pampering your pets with a nice toy or treat instead.
- Kitty Health: Scheduled eating is good for your kitty health. Aside from keeping them well-nourished, it also keeps them stress-free as cats can get really upset and aggressive if not fed on time.
Moreover, managing multiple pets in one household is a breeze with modern automatic feeders. Many of them allow you to restrict access for different pets. If one of your kitties has a sensitive tummy, a smart auto feeder won’t let them have a go at the food that is not meant for them.
If all that sounds like something you have been dreaming of, you definitely need an automatic cat feeder in the house.
The question is:
Which one should you buy?
The answer is in understanding the different options available to you.
Types of Automatic Cat Feeders
Like any other pet product, I have seen a dozen of new type mushroom up every now and then. To be perfectly honest, however, most of them are just buzzwords.
I’ll keep things simple for you and mention just a few important types that one actually needs to know about.
Gravity-fed Cat Food Dispenser
This one doesn’t require battery or power as it relies on the most consistent force of nature – gravity. The kibble falls down due to gravity but stop as soon as the bowl is full. More kibble falls down as your cat is eating those kibbles from the bowl. This is the most budget-friendly, simple to operate option. The bowl is always full as long as you keep refilling the container.
This kind of feeder allows you to have more control over your pet’s diet. You can feed in all the information about meal times and quantity for your pet. The dispenser will release exactly that amount of food at exactly the time you specified. Some programmable feeders don’t have a bowl but compartments. The lid to a relevant compartment opens at your specified time.
Smart feeders let you control your cat’s diet via smartphone, and why not! It is good to have everything at your fingertips. From feeding time to portion size, you can mix things up for every meal.
Other smart feeders may use smart chip and RFID or infrared technology. The dispenser opens only for the cat with relevant ID chip on its collar. It is a good idea when you have a bully cat in the house.
Features to Look For
Now that you know the different types of automatic cat feeders, let’s move on to features that really matter.
Good capacity is subjective. You should go for a feeder with enough capacity to feed all your cats for at least three days. So, it is subject to how many cats you have and how much they eat. There is no point in having an automatic feeder if you have to fill it every day.
Many tops of the crop cat feeders can contain dry food only. If your cat prefers wet food, or if you like to give it some variety throughout the day, look for a feeder that works with other types of food as well. Wet food feeders tend to have a temperature control feature to keep food cold and healthy.
Portion control options are amazing. Look for a feeder that allows you to customize those settings according to the changing needs of your pet. See if you can set a different portion size for every meal of the day. Sometimes vets recommend feeding them less in the night.
An automatic feeder should be able to sustain your cat even if there is a power outage for any reason. More importantly, the battery should last for a few days. In case of prolonged outages, there should be manual mode to give you complete control till the power is back up.
This is an underrated feature but it really makes training so much easy. If you are switching from “calling your cats to the meal” to an automatic feeder, you can record your call and feed it to the machine. It will play your sound to call your cats during mealtime. They are more likely to respond that way.
Not every feeder supports multiple pets. Aside from capacity, there is the matter of food preference and dietary needs for different pets. So, if you have a happy household of cats, look specifically for a feeder that supports multiple cats.
Last but not least, look for a feeder that is easy to clean. One with a dishwasher safe reservoir and bowl will make your life extremely easy.
Training Your Cats
Remember when I reviewed the top cat water fountains and mentioned how training cats to use it will be challenged?
It is kind of the same case with cat feeders. Yes, cats are curious by nature and they are intrigued by any new item in the house. However, they don’t trust everything with their food and water. They might see it as a trap, which means they would be too cautious, even scared of it.
The best way to train your cat with a new water feeder is to familiarize them with their new friend.
Here are a few things you can try:
- Manually put some kibbles in the feeder bowl a few times before letting the machine takeover
- Get an automatic feeder with voice and video recording option and record the familiar meal call for your cat
- Try some catnip sprinkles around the feeder to get your kitty closer
Once your kitty is familiar to its new feeder, it will love you for it.
Oh well! there is one extremely important concern I need to answer before.
Man vs. Machine: Will My Cat Start Loving the Automatic Feeder More than It Loves Me?
In all honesty cat’s aren’t as selfish as commonly perceived. While mealtime is good bonding time, there are a plethora of other activities that can help you bond more strongly with your cat. Play with them. Pett them. Rub their belly till they make you stop.
It is more important to spend more quality time with your pet.
It is a good idea to manually feed your pet every now and then. Just for reassurance may be.
To err is human, to purr is a cat.
No matter how committed you are to your pet, there is always a chance of missing their meal. You can be too busy, too lazy, too stuck or simply forgetful. None of it is a good excuse to keep your kitty starving.
An automatic feeder can help you manage your cat’s meal and its diet more efficiently. Find one that fits your cat’s need.
And let me repeat:
Your cat will love you for it.